Historical shop Banner...(26KB)  We Buy, Sell & Trade rare collectibles from early Americana to the Civil WarHistorical shop Banner...(10KB)  We Buy, Sell & Trade rare collectibles from early Americana to the Civil War
Historical shop Banner...(13KB)  We Buy, Sell & Trade rare collectibles from early Americana to the Civil War--we have CDV's, Hard Images, Currency, Coins, Documents & Displays.


Join Us on Facebook!

P.O. Box 73244   Metairie, LA  70033                      Phone: (504) 467-2532          Fax:  (504) 464-7552

Home

About the Historical Shop      Catalogue Subscription & Ordering Information        Email Us

 


Wholesale Lots -  Clearance

Ancient Items

Historical Jewelry

European Historical Items

Ancient Coins 

 

Colonial

Currency

Militaria

Artifacts

Documents

Coins Used in Early America

Newspapers/
Imprints

Rev. War Buttons

 

 
     

Civil War

Navy

Relics

Prints

Tokens

Newspapers

Abe Lincoln

Sutler Script

Guns/Swords

Patriotic Cover

Gettysburg Items

Harpers Weekly/Leslie's

Currency
- State Notes
- US Fractional

 
Union

Artifacts

Autographs

Letters $50 or Less

Documents/
Letters

 
Confederate

Bonds

Artifacts

Currency

Newspapers

Autographs

Postal Covers

Documents/
Letters

 

Cultural/ Locale

American Indian

Black History

Western/Texas

Antebellum New Orleans & The South

 

Specialty Items

Spanish Coins/Artifacts

Presidential Items 

Postal History

Antique Maps

Books

 

Related Links

FrFlowertopl.jpg (2516 bytes)
FrFlowerctl.jpg (1566 bytes)
FrFlowerttl.jpg (1991 bytes)

FrFlowertopr.jpg (2618 bytes)
FrFlowerctr.jpg (1591 bytes)
FrFlowerttr.jpg (1985 bytes)

American Indian
Indian Trade Beads and Artifacts


6000 - PT AUX CHENES, MACKINAC, COUNTY, UPPER PENINSULA MICHIGAN, CHICKASAW SITE, c. 1770, excavated and re-strung set of white glass irregular globular beads, Chickasaw site, 21" with a small packet of additional beads not used, early Fur trade barter in the upper Michigan area dominated by French traders...........................................$145.00

8600 - ALABAMA EXCAVATED SPANISH BEADS, Late 17th, Early 18th Century beads of Spanish origin restrung, 20" - 21" overall, multi-colored small beads of earth tones, beige, brown, cream, charcoal shades. Lots of ground action with obvious soil staining. These were excavated in the southeastern section of Alabama. These were traded through Pensacola to the Creeks by the Spanish. Quite early and scarce.................................................$135.00

8601 - SILVER FRENCH TRADE BUTTON, C. 1760, French & Indian War period, a domed silver hall marked trade button from a New York site, complete with shank with two air holes on the reverse, makers hall mark SV in a cartouche on the verso. Choice condition...............................$150.00


3057 - JACKSON COUNTY, FLORIDA, SPANISH TRADE BEADS, 20" strand, several shades of blue and cream small beads, c. 1650 - 1700, excavated at a site in Jackson County, Florida. Very nicely restrung in a pattern.....................................................$125.00

A SELECTION OF FRENCH TRADE CROSSES

5128 - FRENCH TRADE CRUCIFIX 1.5", bronze crucifix, 17th - 18th Century Christ on cross, eyelet intact, nice surfaces, excavated Berrien County, Michigan, St. Joseph River site. Located on Lake Michigan in the southwest corner of the state, and bisected by the St. Joseph River, Berrien County has a long history that begins with the earliest explorers of the Great Lakes. Jacques Marquette was the first white man to visit the region. But it was René Robert Cavalier Sieur de la Salle who had the first real impact. Arriving in 1679, La Salle built Fort Miami at the mouth of the St. Joseph River. Located at the present site of St. Joseph, Ft. Miami became the base for several explorations into the Mississippi River Valley. Near the end of the seventeenth century other French explorers built Ft. St. Joseph up the river at the present site of Niles. They also established a Jesuit mission at the Niles fort. Though Ft. Miami fell into disuse, Ft. St. Joseph was occupied until the French left the area in 1763. Ex. Ed Butkus Collection, very fine.........................................................$145.00

5129 - FRENCH TRADE CRUCIFIX, 1.5", bronze crucifix, 17th - 18th Century, Christ on his cross, eyelet intact, excavated St. Ignace, Gross Gap Site area, Michigan. French explorer and priest Jacques Marquette founded the St. Ignace Mission on this site in 1671 and was buried there after his death.[7] He named it for St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit religious order, whose priests were active as missionaries across North America. (Ignace is the French version of Ignatius) Jesuits served at missions to convert First Nations/Native Americans to Catholicism and to share French culture. In 1673, Marquette joined the expedition of Louis Jolliet, a French-Canadian explorer, and departed from St. Ignace on May 17, with two canoes and five voyageurs of French-Indian ancestry (Métís) on a voyage to find the Mississippi River. While exploring the region on the ship Le Griffon with Louis Hennepin, Sieur de La Salle reached St. Ignace on August 27, 1679. Louis de La Porte, Sieur de Louvigny founded Fort de Baude here in 1681 as a fur trading post. It was later directed by Antoine Cadillac. It was closed by the French in 1697. The Jesuits abandoned their mission in 1705. Very fine, ex. Ed Butkus Collection..........................................................................$175.00

5130 - FRENCH TRADE CRUCIFIX, 1.75", bronze crucifix, 17th-18th Century, Christ on his cross/Madonna holding child, eyelet intact with small fissure from wearing, excavated St. Ignace, Gross Gap Site area, Michigan. French explorer and priest Jacques Marquette founded the St. Ignace Mission on this site in 1671 and was buried there after his death.[7] He named it for St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit religious orders, whose priests were active as missionaries across North America. (Ignace is the French version of Ignatius.) Jesuits served at missions to convert First Nations/Native Americans to Catholicism and to share French culture. In 1673, Marquette joined the expedition of Louis Jolliet, a French-Canadian explorer, and departed from St. Ignace on May 17, with two canoes and five voyageurs of French-Indian ancestry (Métis) on a voyage to find the Mississippi River. While exploring the region on the ship Le Griffon with Louis Hennepin, Sieur de La Salle reached St. Ignace on August 27, 1679. Louis de la Porte, Sieur de Louvigny founded Fort de Baude here in 1681 as a fur trading post. It was later directed by Antoine Cadillac. It was closed by the French in 1697. The Jesuits abandoned their mission in 1705. Very fine, Ex. Ed Butkus Collection......................$175.00

5131 - FRENCH TRADE CRUCIFIX, 1.75" bronze crucifix, Christ on his cross, verso Mary with hand folded, eyelet intact, 17th-18th Century. Excavated Emmet County, Michigan at an Ottawa Indian site. Ottawa history records that Emmet County was thickly populated by a race of Indians that they called the Mush-co-desh, which means "the prairie tribe". The Ottawa and Ojibwas Indians were the principal inhabitants of this area, extending across to Manitoulin Island and the Bruce Peninsula of Ontario, Canada. The French established Fort Michilimackinac in about 1715. It was a trading post and the basis of a multicultural settlement that developed around it. Seasonally numerous Indians of various tribes would come to trade there. During the Seven Years' War, British and French forces, together with Indian allies on each side, fought on the North American front in what became known in the British colonies as the French and Indian War. The British took control of the fort in 1761 and continued to use it as a trading post. In 1763, Ojibwa warriors took the fort as a part of Pontiac's Rebellion and held it for a year before the British retook it. The British abandoned the wooden fort in 1781 after building the limestone Fort Mackinac on nearby Mackinac Island, very fine. Ex. Ed Butkus Collection.......................................................SOLD

5132 - EARLY FRENCH SILVER CROSS, 2.75", French silver cross. Late 18th Century early 19th Century HIS inscribed on the front with a bi-lobed cross [Cross of Lorraine], on the verso in engraved "MA" and a bi-lobed cross [ cross of Loraine] over a heart [Immaculate heart of Mary]. The IHS monogram is an abbreviation or shortening of Jesus' name in Greek to the first three letters. Thus IHΣOYΣ, ιησυς (iēsus, "Jesus"), is shortened to IHΣ (iota-eta-sigma), sometimes transliterated into Latin or English characters as IHS or IHC. Original patina to this cross that has Jesuit symbols, origin France or Montréal. Ex. Ed Butkus Collection...................................................$250.00


3004 - MONROE COUNTY, TENNESSEE, A group of silver and copper artifacts excavated in Monroe County, TN. Near the Little Tennessee River on private lands. The artifacts date from 1720 - 1780 and include the following: Copper pounded bracelet, a trade copper ring, two silver broaches with catches, a silver ear bob, and two copper rolled sheet copper beads or hair caps, 7 separate items, origin Chickasaw in a riker display box......................................$135.00

3005 - MONROE COUNTY, TENNESSEE, A group of silver and copper artifacts excavated in Monroe County, TN. Near the Little Tennessee River on private lands. The artifacts date from 1720 - 1780 and include the following: Copper pounded nose bob, three silver broaches with catches, a silver ear bob, and two copper rolled sheet copper beads or hair caps, 7 separate items, origin Chickasaw, in a riker display box...................................................$125.00


3006 - TRADE BEADS WITH A SUPERB JESUIT MEDAL
, a 14" strand of turquoise seed beads along with a Jesuit brass religious medal 1/2" X 5/8" with Christ the King holding a globe with a cross above/seated Christ within a triangle, cross above [the Trinity]. The medal has a smooth black patina, extremely sharp for a dug medal, c. 1680 - 1720. From a New York site, most probably Seneca.....................................................
SOLD

3007 - A GREAT CHIPPEWA PIPE TOMAHAWK, 3" X 8.5", English trade pipe tomahawk excavated from a Chippewa Indian village site in Saginaw, Michigan. 3" blade edge, graceful bed to the blade, c. 1800, nice surfaces, small chip to the edge of the pipe bowl not really detracting whatsoever. An excellent example of a genuine pipe tomahawk being excavated with good ground action......................SOLD


122423 - INDIAN TRADE SILVER "BOB" EARRINGS, silver trade earrings, 1780 - 1830, teardrop bob style earring suspended by a small ball with a large ring. Origin is a site in the Southeast US, sometimes worn in groups from ears, probably Creek or Chickasaw. We bought these years ago and they just surfaced! Both match and have the original dark gray patina, most difficult to find today.............................................SOLD

5181 - A MAP OF THE WESTERN AND NORTHERN FRONTIERS AS PROPOSED BY CHARLES GRATIOT AS OF 1837, SHOWS THE INDIANS LANDS, AREAS OF RESETTLED INDIAN TRIBES, FORTS, published by the Library of Congress, 1861, old border colors, 18" X 23", the colored lines designate travel routes through the area that starts from the Mississippi River to the west, published by W. Hood. Notations are made of treaties with different Indian tribes acquiring lands. Relocated tribes such as the Cherokees, Seminoles, Choctaws, and Creeks are shown to the Northwest of Arkansas in what was to become Indian Territory. Lands ceded by the Sioux, Foxes, Ioways, at Otoes in 1825, others by the Sac and Fox in 1830, the lands of the Pawnees and the Omahas, the Shawnees and the Delaware's, land extending as far north as Fort Snelling and south into Louisiana. A wonderful map of the western frontier as it looked in 1837 after the Indian removal of the early 1830's, red and blue coloring. Very fine, bottom half of right border lacking due to attachment to volume but still leaves a margin for framing.....................................................$295.00

42510 - SILVER TRADE CROSS WITH HEART, 1.5", small silver trade cross with heart above cross with "Y" inscribed in the heart, hatch mark designs as typical of these 18th Century trade items favored by the Indians in the East and Southeast. Nicely toned with complete eyelet. Excavated in an unknown site in Ohio. Fine................................................SOLD

FORT MICHILIMACKINAC ITEMS

1720 - 1783, Fort Michilimackinac, Michigan, Fort Michilimackinac was an 18th Century French, and later British, fort and trading post at the Straits of Mackinac; it was built on the northern tip of the lower peninsula of the present - day state of Michigan in the United States. Built around 1715, and abandoned in 1783, it was located along the Straits, which connected Lake Huron and Lake Michigan of the Great Lakes.

42514 - SILVER TRADE RING, 1720 - 1783, FORT MICHILIMACKINAC, MICHIGAN, silver man sized ring with a globular face with incised "T" punched into the face. The ring is complete with a fissure in the ring band itself. This could be repaired easily by a jeweler. Completely intact and silver rings from the trade period are not commonly found..................................................SOLD

42516 - JESUIT TRADE RING, INSCRIBED "FI", 1720 - 1783, FORT MICHILIMACKINAC, MICHIGAN, Brass trade ring with a heart shaped face with the incised initials "FI" in the face, intact band with nice shape. Superb condition................................................SOLD


6032 - GEORGE II 1757 SILVER PEACE MEDAL IN SILVER RETRIKE, 44mm. Julian IP - 49. Bust of George II, Reverse: Indian and a gentleman seated exchanging peace pipes. Struck at the US mint this example has a beautiful proof surface with a steel gray patina. Struck from new dies that had not cracked yet as some example show the die cracks. Struck 1882 to the early 20th Century. According to Julian the original medals were passed out to various Indian chiefs by the Quakers. The originals whenever found bring huge prices. This nice example.....................................$495.00

9405 - 17TH CENTURY MARKED FRENCH TRADE AXE, Dann Site, Honeoye Falls [Rush/Monroe County, NY], late 17th Century, recessed makers mark on both sides. Ex-Donald Cameron Collection. The axe is solid with some roughness to the actual tip of the blade with slight irregularity.........................................$150.00

9406 - MARINE SHELL BEADS, Adams Site, Livinia [Livingston County, NY]. Ex-Donald Cameron Collection, c. 1570, five small marine shells drilled for wearing as a necklace, nice patina, the group............................................$75.00

9407 - DANN SITE, 1650 - 1670, Brass cone tinklers, brass kettle ear brass arrow point fashioned from a trade kettle, brass trade bell, trade iron awl, trade iron knife blade, trade "Jewish Harp" missing tongue, all recovered from the Dann site, Honeoye Falls [Rush/Monroe County]. New York, ex-Donald Cameron Collection. The collection.................................................$89.00

9415 - SENECA-IROQUOIS, BRASS CONE BANGLES, 17th Century, three brass bangles or tinklers found near Victor, NY, c. 1680, very popular with the eastern tribes, 3/4" to 1", patinated to a green finish, lot of 3 all slightly different.......................................$85.00

9419 - ARROWHEAD AND CARVED SHELL ITEMS, Seneca sites: Madison point and shell discoidal, Cameron site, Lima [Livingston County, NY], and a carved shell runtree, Dann site, all from the Donald Cameron collection, lot of three objects from two eastern Seneca sites, 1500 - 1687..........................................................$49.00

9420 - BRASS TRADE TUBULAR BEAD AND TINKLER, Dutch Hollow site, Lima, [Livingston County, NY], western Seneca site c. 1660, trade brass bangles and bead is 1.5" with 1" tinkler, ex-Donald Cameron Collection. Lot of two items....................................................$49.00

9423 - A RARE SIX PIECE ANTLER TOOL KIT FOR FLAKING AND CHISELING, Antler bone implements ranging from 2" to 6" used for flaking and chiseling flint. Found in the site "A" of the Hunter's Home site, Savannah, Wayne County, NY, ex-Harold Secore collection. Western Seneca site, west of Syracuse, 17th Century. Nice patina to the implements. RARE....................................................$450.00



14111 - CROWN POINT, NY, BRASS CRUCIFIX, 18TH CENTURY
, 1.5" cast brass crucifix, completely intact as Christ figure molded into the cross, very fine, probably French in origin................................................................
$195.00

FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR PERIOD EXCAVATED INDIAN TRADE BEADS FROM NEW YORK LATE 17TH - EARLY 18TH CENTURY

14147 - POWER HOUSE SITE, LIMA, NY, 20" strand of multi-colored glass tubular beads with European style "wampum" spacers. Ex-Charles Wray Collection. Recovered from the Power House site, Lima, [Livingston County, NY]........................................SOLD


THE CHEROKEE TRAIL OF TEARS

12210 - US DRAGOON BUTTONS USED BY US TROOPS GUARDING THE CHEROKEE REFUGEES AFTER THE TRAIL OF TEARS, US Dragoon cuff buttons, [Albert DR-3] 1833-1847. Eagle with shield with D within, two piece button with shank, excavated at Fort Wayne, Indian Territory - Fort Wayne was established 1838 in Indian Territory by Lt. Col. R. B. Mason of the 1st Dragoons. Originally it was ordered to be located on the headwaters of the Illinois River, but before its completion, new orders changed the location to Spavinaw Creek, nearer the Arkansas - Indian Territory border. Named for Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne, it was intended as a link in the great line of forts protecting the American West. The army abandoned the fort in 1842 due to the high incidence of malaria suffered by soldiers assigned there, and turned it over to the Cherokee Nation. Very fine............................................$25.00/each

8905 - FRENCH TRADE SILVER BIRD TALON, c. 1740-70, small effigy of a bird talon suspended by a loop possible from a nose ring or earring. Excavated in a Michigamea Indian site in Randolph County, Illinois. 3/4", this area settled by French traders and missionaries in the late 17th Century..................................................$275.00

8910 - A RARE CONICAL ARROWPOINT, 2" made from brass kettle and traded to the Indians by French traders, excavated Green Bay, Wisconsin, 1780 during the Fur Trade period in that area dominated by the French. Excellent condition as many found are flattened......................................................SOLD

8911 - NEW YORK INDIAN TRADE KETTLE, 1770-1800, 10" X 7". Hammerd brass with the original iron bale, rare leaf shaped lugs with iron rings to attach the bale. Excavated from a Seneca Indian site, Monroe City, New York. In excellent condition with an olive green patina. Very nice........................................................$350.00

8918 - FRENCH CONTROLLED MICHIGAN INDIAN SITE, PT. AUX CHENES, MICHIGAN, The following items were excavated from a Chipawa Indian site, Upper Peninsula, Michigan, Mackinac County, Michigan. [a] Iron Canoe awl, 5" double pointed awl, fine.....................SOLD [b] 225 white glass beads, would make a nice 20" - 22" strand of trade beads...................$135.00


3050 - ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA 20" strand, turquoise glass trade beads period 1800 - 1830, Seminole period, oblong globular shaped, excavated in a trading site near St. Augustine, FL. St. John's River area............................$95.00

3058 - NATCHITOCHES, LA. RED RIVER PARISH, LOUISIANA, 1690 - 1790, a historical grouping found at the above mentioned site, 20" strand of white barleycorn beads, a copper knife bolster modified for tweezers, trigger guard and escutcheon plate from a firearm used for jewelry [Indian use] and buttons. A nice find being remnants from the early French colonization of Louisiana, the lot.........................................................$200.00


1191 - GREAT TRADE PIPE FROM A CREEK SITE IN ALABAMA, 2.75" with a wide deep bowl, some black slip remaining. c 1780-1820, excavated in the 1930's by Dr. R. P. Burke of Montgomery, AL whose collection was sold in the 1960's after his death. Found in Russell County, AL. Wetumka [Water Rumbling] Lower Creek - Muskogee. A branch town of the Coweta Tallahassee at the junction of Calloway and Uchee Creeks. In all probability an Englih trade item. The flared wide bowl lends to the early period the date shown before [1780]. In excellent condition...............SOLD

1195 - ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA, SEMINOLE PERIOD, 20" restrung, dark brown-black hand drawn beads cut to a length of .75 to 1" in length, period Seminole, excavated at a site near St. Augustine, Florida. Bohemian glass trade beads dating to the early 1800's. Nicely cleaned and restrung. The site was most probably a trading facility near the St. John's River. Very fine...................................................$95.00

1196 - BEAUTIFUL NEW YORK AREA BEADED INDIAN FABRIC BELT, Late 18th Century - Early 19th Century based on the antique cloth base, seed beads of blue, red, white, gray, sewn in an attractive flower design, 3" X 24", some loss of beads at one end but otherwise fine condition. Seneca in origin, from an old New York Collection...................................$350.00

1197 - STEEL ARROWPOINTS, FORT DICK, TX, Small iron arrowpoints for small game made from the rings of barrels, found in a kettle near a trading post, Fort Dick, TX. 3/4", circ 1870's, light oxidation from moisture..................................$35.00/each

1203 - THE HARNEY MASSACRE, After years of conflict with the Seminoles in Florida, peace seemed to be a real possibility in the summer of 1839. General McComb has reached an agreement with the Seminoles giving them a prime reservation in southwestern Florida. Complying to McComb's agreement a trading post was set up within the reservation on the Caloosahatchee River. Twenty-six soldiers, armed with Colt rifles, under the command of Lt. Col. William S. Harney, Second Dragoons, was assigned the task of protecting the trading post. During the month of July, it became known to the Seminoles that McComb's treaty with them was just a temporary one and they would not be allowed to stay on the reservation. They felt betrayed and vented their anger on July 22nd, 1839 by attacking the trading post at dawn. Over 200 Indians led by Checkika, Hospetarke, and Billy Bowlegs overwhelmed the soldiers resulting in the death of eighteen dragoons. Trader Dalham, his two clerks, and pilot McCarty had been killed. Harney and several other troopers escaped into the nearby river. The Indians took goods valued at $3000, $1000 in cash, and the property of the soldiers, including 14 Colt rifles with ammunition and burned the trading post to the ground. The massacre stunned all of Florida and General Zachary Taylor began an immediate campaign to rid Florida of the Seminoles. By the autumn of 1841, less than a 1000 Indians remained in all Florida including women and children. The beads found in the ruins of the trading post were mostly multi-colored glass trade beads. They have been restrung in necklaces. Very attractive.....................................................$39.95/each



80304 - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL
, 18th Century, 1" intact eyelet, St. Francis of Assisi/Madonna and child Jesus, superb condition, site undetermined...........
$145.00

80305A - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL, OUR LADY OF GUADELOUPE, 18th Century, 1" Our Lady of Guadalupe - (Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe), also known as the Virgin of Guadalupe - (Virgen de Guadalupe) is a celebrated Roman Catholic icon of the Virgin Mary. Two accounts, published in the 1640's, one in Spanish, one in Nahuatl, tell how, while walking from his village to Mexico City in the early morning of 9 December 1531 (then the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in the Spanish Empire), the peasant Juan Diego saw on the slopes of the Hill of tepeyac a vision of a girl of fifteen or sixteen years of age, surrounded by light. Speaking to him in Nahuatl, the local language, she asked that a church be built at that site, in her honor; from her words, Juan Diego recognized the Lady as the Virgin Mary. Diego told his story to the Spanish Archbishop, Fray Juan de Zumárraga, who instructed him to return to Tepeyac Hill, and ask the lady for a miraculous sign to prove her identity. The Virgin told Juan Diego to gather flowers from the top of Tepeyac Hill. Although December was very late in the growing season for flowers to bloom, Juan Diego found at the usually barren hilltop Castilian roses, not native to Mexico, which the Virgin arranged in his peasant tilma cloak. When Juan Diego opened the cloak before Bishop Zumárraga on 12 December, the flowers fell to the floor, and in their place was the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe, miraculously imprinted on the fabric. Bust of Juan Diego/Our Lady of Guadeloupe, nice green patina. Very fine, no specific site............................................$175.00     another octagon shaped.....................................................................................................$175.00

80305 - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL, "IHS" SYMBOL, 18th Century, ¾" bronze medal, angel with HIS/Catholic Saint Berdardine of Siena. This monogram became more popular after the twelfth century when St. Bernard insisted much on devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus, and the fourteenth, when the founder of the Jesuits, Blessed John Colombini (d. 1367), usually wore it on his breast. Towards the close of the Middle Ages IHS became a symbol, quite like the chi-rho in the Constantine period. Sometimes above the H appears a cross and underneath three nails, while the whole figure is surrounded by rays. IHS became the accepted iconographical characteristic of St. Vincent Ferrer (d. 1419) and of St. Bernardine of Siena (d. 1444). The latter holy missionary, at the end of his sermons, was wont to exhibit this monogram devoutly to his audience, for which some blamed him; he was even called before Martin V. St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted the monogram in his seal as general of the Society of Jesus (1541), and thus it became the emblem of his institute. Site unknown, light tan patina.....................................................................$125.00

80306 - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL, ST. BERNARDINE OF SIENA, 18th Century, ¾" bust of Saint Bernardine/Pope seated. Reports of miracles attributed to Bernardino multiplied rapidly after his death, and Bernardino was canonized as a saint in 1450, only six years after his death, by Pope Nicholas V. His feast day in the Roman Catholic Church is on 20 May, the day of his death. Known as a fiery preacher. Nice tan patina, site unknown....................................................................$100.00

80308 - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL, ST. PETER, 18th Century, ¾" St. Peter/the Risen Christ, Apostles below, site unknown, dark green patina, top loop missing but extremely sharp details..........................................................$65.00


80309 - JESUIT TRADE MEDAL
, 18th Century, ¾" Madonna with child Jesus/angel, very sharp details, site unknown, tan patina...................................................
$115.00

5132 - HEART SHAPED JESUIT RING, Late 17th Century - Early 18th Century. Intact bronze trade ring in the shape of a heart, J. P. engraved on face. Excavated in central New York State. Very fine condition..................................................$195.00


3226 - 17TH CENTURY CHERRY HILL SITE, NY, overall with loop, .75. Oval medal with Madonna and child Jesus/face of Christ. Nice green patina with complete loop. Found near a Seneca site near Cherry Hill site..............................................$185.00

801918 - BRASS ARROW POINTS MADE FROM A TRADE KETTLE, DANN SITE, ROCHESTER, NY, 2 different sized brass arrow points designed for small animal/bird hunting. Dann Site near Rochester, NY, c 1670 - 1720...................$85.00

2275 - CANOJAHARIE NEW YORK INDIAN BEADS STRUNG WITH A SPANISH PIECE OF EIGHT, white, red, and blue tubular beads period 1760 - 90 called "old glass wampum". These attractive beads were sewn on a blouse or worn on a necklace. A reconstructed large necklace with a 1823 Spanish Piece of Eight with a portrait of Ferdinand VII. Ex-Box Winters Collection. 20" coin in choice condition [holed]......................................................................SOLD 

2276 - CANOJAHARIE NEW YORK INDIAN BEADS STRUNG WITH A SPANISH PIECE OF EIGHT, white, red, and blue tubular beads period 1760 - 90 called "old glass wampum". These attractive beads were sewn on a blouse or worn on a necklace. A reconstructed large necklace with a 1814 Spanish Piece of Eight with a portrait of Ferdinand VII. Ex-Box Winters Collection. 20" coin in choice condition [holed].............................................................SOLD

2277 - EARLY SOUTH CAROLINA NATIVE AMERICAN BEAD NECKLACE, 1400 - 1650, a native American reconstructed necklace composed of drilled bone, fossil shark vertebrae, clay pipe stems excavated near the Cooper River near Charleston. This necklace dates from the pre- colonization period to the early exploration period and some items were used as early trading items among the native Indians of that area along with shells. This necklace is indicative of a coastal tribe near the sea using the vertebrae of prehistoric sharks which is abundantly found along the South Carolina coast........................................................SOLD

2278 - A BEAUTIFUL SET OF FRENCH GOOSEBERRY BEADS - CHICKASAW BLUFFS, TENNESSEE, Shelby County, Tennessee, 20" strand of French "Gooseberry" quartz beads, c. 1750. White lines in the beads make for nice eye appeal, nice ground action, reconstructed strand................................................SOLD

2284 - GEORGE II SILVER INDIAN PEACE MEDAL, the obverse depicts the laureate head of King George II, facing left, in jacket of cloth and armor. Surrounding is the inscription GEORGIVS II DEI GRATIA. The reverse shows an Indian seated on the ground to the left, and at the right a colonist (in the style of popular depictions of William Penn) seated on a rock, holding a calumet or peace pipe aloft in his right hand. Behind him is a deciduous tree. In the background is a blazing council fire, while a sun with rays illuminates the scene. The inscription LET US LOOK TO THE HIGH WHO BLESSED OUR FATHER'S WITH PEACE. The date 1757 written as 1757 is in the exergue. 44mm plain edge struck by the US Mint in the late 19th Century, Julian IP - 49, un-circulated with a steel blue tone. Struck by a new set of dies by the mint. The original medals were struck on Spanish pieces of eight and bring six figures. This attractive re-strike..............................................$450.00


Front


Rear


11030 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, WALLER STYLE CUTTING BLADES, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, three "Waller Style" cutting blades or fashioned quartz, 2" - 2.25". Used for scraping or cutting, the lot of three.............................................$125.00

11031 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, EDGEFIELD CUTTING BLADE, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, 3" quartz cutting small knife blade......................................$59.00

11032 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, ROUND STONE MACEHEAD, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, put in a leather thong and used as a swinging mace head, 4.5" early Archaic weapon.........................................$95.00

11033 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, CELT AXE HEAD, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, 4.5" greenstone Celt axe head in good form. Late Archaic period, used for woodworking...............................$115.00

11034 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, GREENSTONE TOMAHAWK HEAD, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, Made from greenstone with a good tomahawk shape, 4.75" really nice style.....................................$165.00

11035 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, BROWN STONE CELT, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, several notches, used for woodworking, very early Celt, early Archaic Period....................................$75.00

11036 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, GRANITE AXEHEAD, ARCHAIC PERIOD 8000 - 1000 BC, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, 5" chipped granite axe head in good style, early Archaic Period. A great example......................................$195.00

11037 - NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN, POTTERY GAME TOKENS, WOODLAND TO MISSISSIPPIAN PERIOD, 1000 BC - 1650 AD, ELMORE COUNTY, AL, pottery sound and oblong pottery game tokens that range in size from 3/4" to 1.25", all in tack, 5 different................................................$35.00


5134 - CHEROKEE WOMAN FROM GEORGIA, 1/6th plate ambrotype in a hanging wall frame. A well-dressed elderly Cherokee woman with dark complexion and distinctive Indian features. The identification on the inside of the case notes "SARAH WIFE OF GREAT UNCLE THOMAS DOWD CHEROKEE FROM CARTERSVILLE, 1859". The town of Cartersville is in North-West Georgia in Bartow County. Obviously Thomas Dowd escaped the "Trail of Tears" of the Cherokees in the early 1830's and settled on private lands in Northwest Georgia. Although a huge number of Cherokees were forced west to Oklahoma, groups were allowed to remain in the East who lived on private lands and not tribal lands. By this time, the Cherokees had become quite assimilated with the lifestyle of the whites as this 1859 photograph shows clearly of Sarah Dowd in fancy clothing, but here Indian ancestry is unmistakable................................................$495.00

3001 - SENECA SITE, CHERRY HILL, NY, 17th - 18th Century, 18" strand of heavy white Dutch beads, globular in style. Lots of ground action and light staining to these heavy beads which became favorites of the Eastern tribes being so massive..................................$150.00

3003 - HILLSBORO COUNTY, FL, c 1670 - 1720, large tubular, bright green Spanish trade beads, 42" restrung set could be made into two strands, with old tag showing site dug and date as December 1973 in Hillsboro County, FL. Nice graduated beads ranging to 5/8". First ones we have had of this style............................................$350.00


 

FrFlowerMid.jpg (1949 bytes)
FrFlowercbl.jpg (1558 bytes)
FrFlowerbotl.jpg (2484 bytes)

Back to top

FrFlowertbr.jpg (1957 bytes)
FrFlowercbr.jpg (1560 bytes)
FrFlowerbotr.jpg (2523 bytes)


This site Created & Maintained by Christopher & Lisa Delery.
If you have any questions or would like to report a problem, contact the sitemanager or the Historical Shop.
Thank you for visiting us!!

©All rights reserved Historicalshop.com